Here are some of the key feature highlights of the VEMBU BDR Suite 4.0.
Hyper-V Failover Cluster Support for Backup & Recovery
BDR 4.0 fully support the Hyper-V failover cluster virtual machines. That means the BDR Suite is a fully hyper-v failover cluster aware backup solution. That means if you are moving around your VMs between different nodes and when the BDR initiate a backup next day, the backup solution is fully aware of the node where the Virtual machine resides and it will successfully perform the backup for that particular Virtual machine.
Shared VHDX Backup
Microsoft has released a feature in 2012 and now enhanced it in 2016 version which is Shared VHDX. Shared VHDX is helps to share the virtual disk between multiple virtual machines. This particular feature is helpful when you want to implement a failover cluster for the SQL server with always on failover clustering or even when you need to implement a clustering for a fileserver role. This eliminates the need for a virtual HBA or a VSAN but then this has some limitation such as the operations like volume resizing migrating of vms are not possible even to make a replica Virtual machine for the high availability and also the backup. But then using Vembu BDR Suite 4.0 it make the backup possible.
Hyper-V Checksum Based Incremental
Another notable feature is the Hyper – V CBT based incremental backup. It really helps for a seamless backup operation and also in case the backup failed in between the backup can resume the operations from where it was stopped. It can save a considerable amount of time while doing a retry operations on hyper-v environment.
The credentials manager was one missing feature in Vembu and which has now added and we can now save all the credentials on the application and perform the backup and restore operations with ease.
So majority of the features were concentrated on the Hyper-V side however there are some features enhancements as well. Below are some of the notable enhancements.
1. So along with the added VMs, the disks that are newly added can also be backed up in the next uninterrupted incremental backup job.
2. Reporting options have been enhanced. Now you can get a separate report for your Quick VM Recovery operations, such as :
- VM Name
- Recovery point
- Start and end time
- Target hypervisor
- Status of recovery
3. Also when performing a Live Recovery to VMware, now you have the below additional options to tweak according to the business requirement.
- Socket & Core Counts
- Hard disk provision type
- Network adapter
4. When the VMware or Hyper-V virtual machine backup jobs get interrupted, the solution will retry the job and continue to run the job
5. An introduction of a new set of APIs has been released to provide a detailed reports on storage utilization like the size of the VM, storage space utilized by a backup job, compression rate etc.