You may come across a situation were your Hyper V Replication state may say Resyncronization required. and the replication health may also say that “Resyncronization is required for the virtual machine “ServerName” resume replication to start syncronization.
There are different ways we can fix this sync issue but that depends on various reasons to go the the virtual machine to go out of sync. One common issue is that the secondary site link to go down, reverting a virtual machine to an older restore point and even inconsistent storage.
- So running a the below command will give you stats of any failed replications details.
2) Once you have found the failed Virtual Machine you can try to resume the replication again by running below command or by the resume replication operation from the GUI.
Resume-VMReplication –VMName “FailedVMName” -Resynchronize –ResynchronizeStartTime “01/08/2018 12:00:00”
To perform the resume from GUI click on the failed Virtual machine and click on “Replication” and then click on “Resume Replication”
Then select the schedule that you want this operation to take place by clicking on the “Resyncronize on” then choose an appropriate window for the replication (Preferably after business hours)
You can perform a replication check again by either by Get-VMReplication command or by right click on the Virtual machine and Replication>View Replication health
At times this may not work as expected. So we need to perform an initial sync by removing the exiting replication job and create a new one. We will see how to configure it.
- First we need to replication job by doing the below action.
2) Then next we need to enable the Replication for the required virtual machine.
3) Click next on the Wizard to proceed further.
4) Here you need to mention the Hyper-V Replica broker server name. Then click Next.
5) Now select the Authentication type. Here we have selected the Kerberos Authentication. Then click Next.
6) Confirm the hard disk selections in this window and click Next to continue.
7) Here you can set the replication frequency. Lower frequency the better. But this completely depends on your business requirements.
8) Choose the recovery points based on the requirements. If you need an hourly restore points choose the options appropriately then click Next.
9) Select the initial replication over the next. (if the virtual machine size is in TBs we can save the initial copy on an external media and do a pre seed of the virtual machine. Also select the schedule for the initial replication and click Next.
10) Review the settings and click Finish to continue.
11) In case your Virtual machine on the secondary site need to be connected to network adapter configure the settings here. Otherwise Close this box and continue.
12) So wait for your replication schedule and once the replication is complete you can verify the health by right click on the Virtual machine>Replication>View Replication health
That’s the configuration steps for the Hyper-V Replica. Feel free to comment below with your queries.